Pretty, Polished, Perfect.: Once, Twice, and Sometimes Not At All

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Once, Twice, and Sometimes Not At All

This month for FBFF, the topic is about wearing an item only once. 
*An article on the subject (read it if you want, I've got something to say......)

Am I a one-time wearer?
Yes. But never intentionally.  If you’ve read my blog and you really get me, you would know that I could never buy something thinking (or knowing) that I would only wear it once.  Price per wear rule wins, every time.  Consignment, ebay, donating (hopefully to a great cause,) giving to a sibling (I have a sister that willingly takes my old clothes, plus I know I can always get it back if I change my mind, haha!) or tear it up and use it a rag!
Do I feel the need to purchase something new for a special event?
I don’t need to,  but I want to. Who doesn’t want something new?  Of course I try to wear something different to each event, and I feel I’ve got enough in my closet already that this isn’t an unbearable feat.
Re-mixing? 
I’m sure my local grocers would say yes (you know, if they were actually keeping tabs.)  Fact: The Mr can correctly spot a new purchase 99.9% of the time.  Fact: I re-mix, re-use, repair and recycle.

Budget vs. Impulse.  The Mr has assigned me a budget.  I’m an impulse shopper.  On a budget. 
*My response to this article:
1. I was under the impressions that celebrities had thousands of FREE designer gowns delivered to their doors for events (free publicity, hello!) If that's the case, then we should never see them in the same dress twice. I wouldn't wear the same dress twice if I was recieving free gowns.....because I wouldn't have to.
2. Queen Elizabeth might have been wearing the same gown, but she's changed it with some well-placed.....appliques?  Did you know (*history lesson alert*) that it has long been a part of English culture to rework a garment instead of making an entirely new one?  This practice was more common amongst the poor, but even the nobles and royalty has gowns refashioned with new ribbons, lace, and tailoring.
3. The euphoric feeling of buying something new is not usually associated with the "I'm afraid of wearing something twice" syndrome, but it might be used as an excuse to justify the purchase (am I right??) 

In the end: if it makes you happy (and doesn't cause a burden on society or physical/emotional harm to anyone,) wear it once.  If it makes you happy (and again, doesn't cause a burden on society or physical/emotional harm to anyone,) wear it until it's threadbare and then wear it some more.
As for me and my closet......

11 Comments:

At March 31, 2012 at 1:25 PM , Anonymous fashionforgiants said...

Great post. I really enjoyed reading both your answers to the questions and your response to the article you linked to.

Gracey

 
At March 31, 2012 at 1:29 PM , Anonymous Kimberlee VDW said...

haha I'm an impulse shopper on a budget as well but don't have a husband to keep an eye on me ;)

 
At March 31, 2012 at 5:57 PM , Anonymous Erin @ Loop Looks said...

Interesting topic! I definitely wear things over and over again. Especially my casual clothes. But I can totally see how fashion/daily outfit bloggers get a rep as people who wear things only once.

 
At March 31, 2012 at 6:08 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

I don't post every single outfit I wear, so I don't think it's fair for a reader to assume that I don't wear things more than once. If I wear even the exact same outfit, I'm not going to blog about it twice, haha!

 
At March 31, 2012 at 6:08 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

Does that make it less painful? Haha!

 
At March 31, 2012 at 10:41 PM , Anonymous Katy Rose said...

Love your responses and your honesty about having some single-wear items. Thanks for participating this week. - Katy

 
At April 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM , Anonymous Alyssa said...

Great outfit!

 
At April 2, 2012 at 10:01 AM , Anonymous Emily said...

Love this(and love your beautiful floral dress :)
Creamy

 
At April 3, 2012 at 11:51 PM , Anonymous WendyB said...

I like to wear things over and over...and I don't even bother changing it up! LOL.

 
At April 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM , Anonymous Jenn said...

Love the post. I am an impulse/emotional shopper too. If only money grew on trees.... : )

 
At April 6, 2012 at 2:08 AM , Anonymous Sue Crowder said...

I love your fashion blog! I am definitely a repeat wearer but I never blog about it. I don't think my outfits are exciting enough to post about!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home