Pretty, Polished, Perfect.: Surprises, Tim Gunn, Kate Spade and Other Girly Things

Monday, April 30, 2012

Surprises, Tim Gunn, Kate Spade and Other Girly Things

I wasn't entirely sold on this event.  I have watched every season of Project Runway (have I ever mentioned that since I was a little girl all I wanted to be was a fashion designer?)  I liked Tim Gunn's TV Personality.  I haven't fallen in love with Lucky Brand denim yet.  But.  I do love Kate Spade (not surprising, right?) and after a friend asked to catch a ride with me, the deal was sealed. 

We arrived early, shopped the Kate Spade store (dress coming later this week) and found our seats (a true fiasco, but a story for another time.)  As we waited for the show to start, we discussed meeting Tim Gunn for the photo-op after the show.  I'm not one for photo-ops with celebrities (whether of the A-list or D-list variety.)  In my humble opinion, a photograph with someone famous isn't really that awesome.  An entire conversation?  That's pretty cool.  Getting their digits?  That's brag worthy, as long as you aren't a groupie or a "professional dancer".....

I wondered if I would find Tim Gunn personable.  I wondered if taking a photo with him would be like High School Graduation; that awkward moment where you have to pause while "shaking hands" as the Principal hands you your empty Diploma holder.  I didn't like the Principal and I'm fairly positive she didn't like me (and guess what? I don't have that picture.) 

The show started and I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't a standard fashion show where models walked down a runway to loud music.  They brought out two models at a time and Tim gave styling tips, suggesting why each outfit worked (and making one model tuck in his t-shirt; see the rule of thirds below.)  Tim was personable, charming, funny, entertaining and he had good advice:

Tim says the single worst capri pant, ever, is the cargo capri. I agree. Well, actually, denim overalls and the overuse of commas (haha) are far worse.

Tim loves belts - they can give proportion where there is none.

 Dress your bodies as a series of thirds (not literally - he specifically said, "Do NOT pull out the measuring tape." Don't create a line that cuts you in half. 


He also advised against dressing up Maxi Dresses. He thinks they should only be worn with flats dressed down (way, way down,) and should be accessorized with larger bags, not clutches.

He lent a tidbit of history (they are not "wife-beaters"): the tank top originates from France, where a pool is called a "tank." Thus, we have the tank top.


A few other pieces I loved:




From top left: Trench Coat, Jacket + Hat, Jacket, Hat + Swimsuit
After the show there was a Q&A, and I think by that time I was starting to feel like Tim was an old friend (I'm not too ashamed of my own cheesiness.)

After the show was the after party.  Not really, but there was a long line of people waiting to take a photo with Tim.  A few of my fellow Kansas City Bloggers were there and we talked, took photos and finally decided to get in line to meet Tim Gunn. 

As we got closer and closer, I started to feel a little bit giddy (again, I'm not too proud to admit that.)  I think everyone hoped they were wearing the right thing, haha!  My turn was up and it was nothing like my High School Diploma Staged Photo Op.  I introduced myself, Tim complimented my choice of "just the pop of leopard," and we snapped a photo.  I graciously told him it was so nice to meet him and then asked him a question.  And you know what?  That man held my hand throughout the entire (one-minute) conversation.  I left thinking that I wanted to adopt him as my uncle or something. 
Got my photos, chatted with the chicest woman we met in line and then headed home (but not before stopping at Natasha's for some macarons.) 

This is Meggy (from Chasing Davies) & Jen (yes, the tote bag says "what would Tim Gunn do?"  I can't help but think, "He wouldn't wear this bag, so why is his camp handing them out to us?")
I think it's about time I read that book of his (okay, I actually had no idea he had written a book until this event......but now I know he has another book being released in September!)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At April 30, 2012 at 5:48 PM , Anonymous Sharrison1028 said...

You look very cute! And I too, love the pop of leopard. Seems like a nice event.

 
At April 30, 2012 at 10:34 PM , Anonymous Terri said...

Oh what an amazing photo of you with Tim! I'm going to tweet this!

 
At May 1, 2012 at 8:54 AM , Anonymous Riley said...

I'm going to be in Johnson County in two weeks. Where is a good place to buy a summer handbag? Something just south of a small suitcase? Well, maybe not quite that big, but something that makes a statement but won't break the bank.

Love your blog (it's one of my favorites). Love the leopard belt. He's right...it's just the right pop.

 
At May 1, 2012 at 8:55 AM , Anonymous Riley said...

And, where on earth is Natasha's?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home