Pretty, Polished, Perfect.: Are Diamonds Really A Girls Best Friend?

Friday, June 22, 2012

Are Diamonds Really A Girls Best Friend?

Diamonds take years to form, have to be polished and cut by a professional, and can last forever.  Considered one of the toughest natural gemstones, they come in different shapes, sizes and levels of perfection.  They cost a lot, but are worth it.  If you lose them, it will be upsetting, and they though are replaceable - there are no two clones of the same diamond.  Sounds like a best friend to me.....

A few months ago I was vacationing with a good friend, and we found ourselves perusing the cheap jewelry at Forever21.  I asked her opinion on a few pairs of earrings and she pointed out that she only wears the diamond studs her Mr gave her years ago.  I find myself doing that with pearl earrings - they are my classic staple, an easy choice when I can't seem to make up my mind or when I don't have the perfect earring.

Shortly after that vacation, I received an email from Anjolee about reviewing an item from their online store.  Honestly, how could I refuse diamond jewelry?
I first considered a pair of diamond hoop earrings, but they don't really seem to be my style. Instead, I chose a pair of (big surprise, right?) diamond studs.  Normally I would have opted for a four or six prong, but I find that this three-prong setting is starting to grow on me.  
If you've ever owned precious jewelry and costume jewelry, you know the difference between the two is huge.  Precious jewelry feels solid; costume jewelry (unless it's of great quality for what it is) tends to feel flimsy or fragile. A real diamond tennis bracelet will last a lifetime (or two) but those elasticized Forever21 bracelets?  Maybe a day (or two.) 

Do you know what the traditional Wedding Anniversary gifts are?

1  -  Paper
2  -  Cotton
3  -  Leather (oh, kinky)
4  -  Fruit or Flowers
5  -  Wood
6  -  Candy or Iron
7  -  Wool or Copper
8  -  Bronze
9  -  Pottery
10 - Tin or Aluminum (modern lists say diamonds.....)
11 - Steel
12 - Silk
13 - Lace
14 - Ivory
15 - Crystal
20 - China (not the country)
25 - Silver
30 - Pearl
35 - Coral
40 - Ruby
45 - Sapphire (my birthstone)
50 - Gold
55 - Emerald
60 - Diamond (heck, if you've made it to 60 years, you deserve two diamonds!)
65 - Blue Sapphire
70 - Platinum
75 - Diamonds (notice the plural.....)

The Mr and I have been married for 10+ years, and I'm ready for him to start investing in the classic pieces that will one day go to the daughters I never had my sons, and to their daughters.......

*Thank you again to Anjolee.com for sponsoring my post. I was not compensated for this post; I was provided a sample for review but the content is all my own.


Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At June 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM , Anonymous sandy a la mode said...

i love my anjolee bracelet! it's soo pretty! :) and haha we just passed our 3 year anniversary, i gave my husband a belt, you know, to wear!!!

 
At June 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM , Anonymous Nnenna said...

I agree- diamond studs are a classic! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home