Pretty, Polished, Perfect.: The Casual Tuxedo?

Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Casual Tuxedo?

This post is tough for me.  I've debated posting it.  This is life however, so here it is:

My little family was all set and excited to see the Angels vs. Royals baseball game.  I actually thought long and hard about what I would wear - I wanted it to be something comfortable and functional - I would most likely find my outfit accessorized with drops of ketchup and mustard with a sprinkling of Coca-Cola (c/o of my three sons.)  With that much thought, I figured it should also be blog-worthy. 




dress JCrew, bracelet JCrew, sandals Kohls

I originally started with the shoes below (Chaps, for $7!) but it only took me three seconds before I remembered climbing the stairs at the stadium......yeah, not so much.  I decided the black sandals would be more comfortable.






We were going to stop by the store before we left, and as we pulled into the parking lot, we received a phone call from my momB (the B is silent.)  It was not a pleasant phone call. There is no easy way to say it, so I'll just say it: she has lung cancer, and it's spreading; she starts chemo on Wednesday. 


Our plans changed.  My outfit suddenly wasn't important.  At all.  In fact, I changed into jeans and a t-shirt, donned some sneakers and we were off.  We spent the day with her, painting her bedroom (and like a magnet, that paint was attracted to my jeans, not even kidding), bbq-ing, and generally lazing around on a perfect spring day, enjoying each others company.

I know that you can't quite understand what it means to me personally that my mother-in-law has cancer.  I know this may come across petty to those who don't find joy in fashion.  But sometimes, sometimes, the only thing that can bring a small ray of sunshine into a girls' life is to look better than she feels.  It may not be a suitable substitute for real therapy, but I'll stick to donning a cute hat or wearing my favorite shoes around the house, because if nothing else, I can at least try to feel pretty.

p.s.  If our eyes are the windows to our souls, I could use a good pair of dark, over-sized sunnies right about now.  I just don't want anyone to see all the questions, the what-ifs - the immense sorrow - eating away at my soul.

8 Comments:

At April 14, 2011 at 2:15 PM , Blogger The Hojnackes said...

When I got to the hard part of the post I started crying. Cancer sucks! I hate it. I hate that you have to deal with it in a loved ones life again.

 
At April 14, 2011 at 2:39 PM , Blogger The Next Dave Barry said...

I have to agree that the brown shoes look better and I would have actually just suffered through the stairs...but I'm a glutton for punishment.

I completely agree that sometimes what you wear just makes you feel better. I have a dress of mom's that I sleep in sometimes. I have a pair of ripped up jeans that I used to paint in and my daughter rolls her eyes when I put them on but they remind me of when I used to paint with my dad. But my ultimate feel better clothes are red. Red always makes me feel better. It's my "I will survive" (gloria gaynor) of colors.

So wear whatever it takes to get you through this tough time!

 
At April 14, 2011 at 9:36 PM , Blogger Tamera Westhoff said...

Oh Erin! I wish I could be there for you, but since I can't, I'll just pray really hard for you and your momB!

 
At April 17, 2011 at 8:27 PM , Blogger Laynalou3 said...

I'm so sorry Erin. That sounds really hard.

 
At April 18, 2011 at 9:59 AM , Blogger Alida B. said...

GAH! Ok, this post has me in tears. Cancer is an evil {{Insert whatever cuss word you want here}}. My heart is breaking that you will have to deal with this yet again, that your family will have to deal with this pain and heartache and that your mother-in-law will have to undergo chemo and all it's effects. Just know I love you, Erin. You guys will be in my constant, CONSTANT prayers.

As for the clothes, you pretty much look great in everything you wear. I have a sneaking suspicion that you'd look amazing in a potato sack ;)

 
At April 24, 2011 at 12:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I just discovered your blog through the Style Bloggers Map. I am another style blogger in the area. Looks like I've found you living with some hard news. New follower.

 
At May 11, 2011 at 2:44 PM , Anonymous Laynalou3 said...

I'm so sorry Erin. That sounds really hard.

 
At May 11, 2011 at 2:44 PM , Anonymous The Hojnackes said...

When I got to the hard part of the post I started crying. Cancer sucks! I hate it. I hate that you have to deal with it in a loved ones life again.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home