Pretty, Polished, Perfect.: The Longest Day of the Year.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Longest Day of the Year.

I love summertime!  It is my most favorite season of all - even when I'm dripping sweat.  I love being outside, letting the children stay up late.  As a young girl, we used to play Cat & Mouse on the street until the sun went down.  For many years, my family participated in a pageant (not of the beauty kind) whose productions started at dusk.  We would all fall asleep driving home after midnight.  There were mulberry trees and we'd gather up armfuls of them and eat, eat, eat.  We'd have picnics in between sets; sometimes it was fried chicken from a bucket, other times it was homemade mini cheesecakes in the foil liners (well, we were served something else as well, but all I can remember are those cheesecakes!)  I loved the costumes - the story was set in the 1800s, and we had full-skirted dresses (I wasn't old enough for the petticoats or hoops yet) and we'd braid our hair and wear bonnets.  There were live horses, which meant live manure that we were always careful to avoid. 

Needless to say, I love summer; always have, always will. 

In celebration of the longest day of the year, I give you this:


I had to add this picture because you can see the slight swing that was caught by the camera! I think the hardest part about blogging is narrowing it down to just a few pictures; each picture has this or that and I would love to use them all.

Headband: JCrew
Shirt: JCrew
Bracelets: Vera Wang + c/o The Mr.
Dress: JCrew
Shoes: George



shoes: H&M


There is nothing quite like a white cotton dress to make me feel like summer is officially here.

  Happy First Day of Summer!

7 Comments:

At June 21, 2011 at 2:43 PM , Blogger Nicole said...

Love! Did you take these yourself? If so, I'm even more impressed!

 
At June 21, 2011 at 9:31 PM , Anonymous Terri said...

This is breathtakingly beautiful. And I especially like the last photo in which I can see that pile of pearls.

 
At June 21, 2011 at 10:19 PM , Anonymous Meggy said...

Aww, pretty! I love this outfit. I just ordered that shirt a couple days ago. I'm excited for it!

Meggy from Chasing Davies

 
At June 23, 2011 at 3:36 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

Thanks, Terri! I think you are the favorite professor I never had.....

 
At June 23, 2011 at 3:36 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

I love the pink! JCrew shirts always make me feels so girly - I love them!

 
At July 7, 2011 at 10:09 PM , Anonymous Laynalou3 said...

I did the pageant with your family one year-- so fun! I was a part of the Andrews Family for a short time, but it was a great memory. I love the summer and love you guys too!

 
At July 11, 2011 at 12:11 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

Really - just one year? I still wish your family hadn't moved. It was one of the greatest tragendies in all of Olathe's history ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home