Pretty, Polished, Perfect.: The Mr.

Friday, September 16, 2011

The Mr.

I am not sure if I've ever explained FBFF, so I will do so now.  It's just a friendly community that fashion bloggers have joined on Google.  Every Friday, there is a specific topic we are invited to discuss through our blogs, and we can link our posts here.  This Friday, the topic is advice.

The best piece of advice I was ever given was from my parents.



I'm going to be perfectly honest here.  I was dating the now Mr. 


Religion differences is one of the top 10 reasons why people get divorced.  The Mr. is not religious - in any way; he simply has no beliefs on that front (i.e., he's not atheist either.)  Concerned that a future with him might be too difficult, I left him.  Fast forward just a bit, and I met a man who at least shared my religious beliefs (and that was about it.)  It was a whirlwind kind of thing - that beginning of a relationship excitement.  Fast forward a few months, and we were engaged.  Fast forward another month and I had broken it off (I swear, I do NOT have commitment issues.)  During that short engagement, I think I counseled with my parents every night.  I think what I was really hoping was that they would just tell me what to do and I would just do it; irony in it's greatest form, considering the fact that I had just spent the better part of 20 years trying to not do what they told me to. 

My parents kept saying the same thing: You should marry your best friend; the person you marry should be your best friend; the person you will marry will become your best friend. 

I returned the ring.

The Mr. forgave me for leaving him. 



Fast forward 11 years and here we are.  My parents were right!  I married my best friend, and it's a good thing.  Are we perfect?  No.  Has our relationship been perfect?  No.  And I wouldn't have had it any other way, with any other man.

p.s. The Mr. has been wonderful about religion.  He has no problem with us raising our children to my religious beliefs.  He continues to support me with religious traditions because he knows how important it is to me.  He is such a good guy, and I love him!  Take that, divorce!

10 Comments:

At September 16, 2011 at 10:22 AM , Anonymous Laura Hojnacke said...

You totally made the right choice!

 
At September 16, 2011 at 12:18 PM , Anonymous Alamodeetplus said...

Aw that is a really sweet story, and you two look awfully happy! I wish you many more years of happiness.

 
At September 16, 2011 at 5:28 PM , Anonymous Sharon Brown said...

This is great advice! This is what I always tell people when they ask me about marriage. I knew my hubby was the one b/c I could talk to him about everything - even things I wouldn't dare tell anyone! We've been married for almost 14 years and it's our friendship that has sustained us. So glad to have found your blog through FBFF!

 
At September 17, 2011 at 12:54 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

I would expect my sister to say that, lol!

 
At September 17, 2011 at 12:55 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

Thanks! There are so many romantic happy stories out there, and sometimes I think mine is very practical and well, not as romantic.

 
At September 17, 2011 at 12:57 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

That's great! Congrats on the almost 14 years, and hopefully more to come! I love meeting new bloggers through these link-ups :)

 
At September 20, 2011 at 12:32 AM , Anonymous Paula Robinson said...

Yes, I met and married my best friend. 12 years later we are still BFF's! The rest is a bonus :)

 
At September 20, 2011 at 7:52 AM , Anonymous Styleonthecouch said...

Aw this is such a great story...

www.styleonthecouch.com

 
At September 25, 2011 at 10:15 AM , Anonymous Erin said...

That's great! Here's to many more years with our best friends!

 
At September 25, 2011 at 10:17 AM , Anonymous Erin said...

Thanks :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home