Pretty, Polished, Perfect.: Belated Mother's Day

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Belated Mother's Day

Have you missed me?  I've missed you, my lovely readers, to whom I would be nothing without! 

Last weekend, my grandmother passed away.  But don't be sad.  She wanted her death to be a celebration of her life, with lots of laughter (I know, it sounds funny, but I'm partial to humor in leiu of dealing with sorrow.)  Funerals (hers' was aptly titled a "Celebration of Life,") are interesting things.  There's crying (lots of it, usually,) hugs, kisses, comforting words, reminiscing and for my Grandmother - there was laughter.  It's sometimes a weekend or week-long event, filled with family reunions, food, and photographs.  What CoL would be complete without pulling out old photographs, telling stories, remembering a long life that was well lived?

I was absolutely fascinated by these photos, at her daughters wedding:





All I could think was, WOW G-ma!  That's some trendy hairstyle you're sporting - I had no idea!  And those earrings!  I've never seen her wear anything other than tiny studs.  I think I realized I only knew my Grandmother as a grandmother, but not so much as an individual woman, a woman with tastes, style, preferences, a personality outside of loving children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren!   

Two more for the road:




She will be missed!

p.s. Why yes, we are Scottish - thanks for asking ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home