Pretty, Polished, Perfect.: Red Velvet

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Red Velvet

No, I won't be wearing red velvet. 

I've had far more not-up-to-par red velvet cupcakes than I have delicious ones.  In fact, at this point I'm not even sure what they are supposed to taste like, so different are they!  Tired of paying between $3 and $6 for cupcakes that taste like pure sugar (which I can eat at home for more like ten cents, thank you very much,) I've decided to find the ultimate recipe for Red Velvet Cupcakes (including the only suitable frosting for such a delicacy: cream cheese!)

I made this first batch in honor of the Fourth of July (and my love of cake, lol!)



I didn't want to make a full batch, so I decreased both recipes by one-fourth.....and used one egg white.  This recipe was suggested to me by @HowSweetBlog.  She also has a recipe for Red Velvet, which will be used in Trial #3. 

I have a feeling that this first recipe is going to be tough to beat.  It tasted a bit like this:

(photo courtesy of my 5 year old)


Have you got a recipe for Red Velvet you think I should try?

Hope you had a great Holiday!

Linking up with fellow bloggers for a Red, White and You giveaway!
See this year's Fourth of July post here.

p.s. Have you seen the Seinfeld episode in which George decides he is going to wear velvet every day? 

15 Comments:

At July 5, 2011 at 3:09 PM , Anonymous Laura Hojnacke said...

Alona loves red velvet cake because her teacher loves it. She and Ashley love red velvet cupcake frozen yogurt from yogurtland. I am going to have to try these cupcakes to see how they are- since I have yet to eat red velvet cake and actually like it.

 
At July 5, 2011 at 10:02 PM , Anonymous Terri said...

Sorry I can't help with a recipe, but the flavor...isn't it just red food coloring. Love the blueberry topper.

 
At July 6, 2011 at 3:36 PM , Anonymous Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories said...

Wow, your 5-year-old has some serious fireworks photo taking skills! I think this is the best fireworks picture I've seen on a blog yet.

 
At July 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

Try this one. Especially with the brown sugar cream cheese frosting. It was pretty good!

 
At July 6, 2011 at 10:53 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

Thanks! He asked for the camera and wanted to take pictures, "just like you, Mommy."

 
At July 6, 2011 at 10:55 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

It's more than just the red food coloring, it's the buttermilk, vinegar....etc. I think it's called Red Velvet because no one has been able to come up with an accurate description for its taste!

 
At August 26, 2011 at 12:20 PM , Anonymous Laura Hojnacke said...

I am going to make this for her birthday party tomorrow. I'm off to get the ingredients now!

 
At August 26, 2011 at 1:17 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

Wish I was going to be there! And seriously, Laura. I will never eat cream cheese frosting without brown sugar ever. again.

 
At August 27, 2011 at 10:42 PM , Anonymous Laura Hojnacke said...

So these cupcakes were great! I love the texture- dense, but not too much, moist and smooth- almost velvety (imagine that!). As for the frosting, I am not a fan of frosting. I prefer cake with a tiny bit of frosting at most. This frosting was the best I have tried so far, so I think it will be our go to cream cheese frosting recipe. Thank you for sharing!

 
At August 28, 2011 at 10:40 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

I know! I think they are perfect (and it's the same recipe as Emily's, only her recipe was cut in half.)

 
At July 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM , Anonymous Nicholl Vincent said...

i'd wear red velvet if it looked that good..

visit nichollvincent.blogspot.com

happy fourth!

 
At July 4, 2012 at 7:12 AM , Anonymous Delonna Gibbs said...

The cupcake looks rather yummy. Just stopping by to say HI! Found your blog via Red, White and You. Looking forward to reading your future post.

 
At July 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM , Anonymous Garagesalesrusblog said...

So nice to see you at the Red White and YOU Party! I am a follower. Stop by when you get a chance.

Robin @ http://www.garagesalesrus.blogspot.com/

 
At July 4, 2012 at 8:34 PM , Anonymous Tiffany said...

Oh my gosh---LOVED that Seinfeld! SO funny. My priest looks like George, which automatically makes me love him. :)

Visiting from Red, White and You!

~Tiffany
http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

 
At July 5, 2012 at 6:01 PM , Anonymous Brooke @ Silver Lining said...

Oh my. Those cupcakes! They just look perfect. So delicious!

I'm following you now from the Red White & You Follow Fest! I'd love for you to stop by my blog and become my blog friend too!

xo, Brooke

liningthecloudwithsilver.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home