Pretty, Polished, Perfect.: Floods and High Waters, Heels and Maxis

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Floods and High Waters, Heels and Maxis

Yesterday I talked stilettos and how to walk in them. Today I want to address a personal pet peeve of mine - hem lengths and heels. I can't tell you how many times I have tried on a skirt or dress (or those leather and knit leggings I desperately wish would look good on me!) and the hem was too short. I loved everything about the item, and tried to talk myself into ways that I could make it work; I've been known to buy a skirt or dress in a larger size, just to get the length I need, and then make necessary alterations to the rest. However, even that rarely works. Unless you wear boots with those high-waters (and what happens if you go to some one's home and they want you to take your shoes off??)it's nearly impossible to accomplish. If you've found the secret, please do share....... As photographic evidence of my pet peeve, I give you this cute maxi sweater dress (a cheap Old Navy find that I bought in size Large and altered the top half, just to get the right length.) It's not so much that you can't wear heels with a maxi (which Tim Gunn said you should NEVER do.) It's that if your skirt/dress doesn't make it all the way to the ground, you create this weird line that cuts you off.



Do you see the awkward line cutting me off? It's not unlike the wicked witch's feet dangling out from underneath the house (you have seen the Wizard of Oz, right?)  Granted, it isn't the worst thing in the world, but it certainly isn't the best!

What do you think?  Where do you think the right hem length should be?  Floor-grazing or ankle-grazing?

 

2 Comments:

At October 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM , Anonymous melaniekay said...

Great post! I just did a outfit post too, super cute!
-meandmr.com

 
At October 5, 2012 at 7:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it would be even better a few inches shorter. Love the fashion directions. I am in mom slump!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home