Pretty, Polished, Perfect.: How To: Hair Turbans

Friday, October 19, 2012

How To: Hair Turbans

I have a love/hate relationship with my hair.  On a good day, I'm secretly grateful I have natural curls.  On a bad day......well, I'm sure you can guess how I feel in the humidity.


I've read books (actually, just this one.)  It was interesting, but in the end it wasn't helpful.  I've consulted with my hairstylist (she's the same one I've had for 9 years.)  I haven't cheated on her either - how's that for commitment, lol?  What I've come to realize is that everyone is so different, it's impossible to sum everything up in one blog post, or one book, or with one hairstylist.  I only know what works for me:

The cocktail, as my hairstylist calls it.
The best shampoo and conditioner at the Beauty Brand $11.98/liter sale prices:

Joico.  pH balanced - learn it, live it, love it.
Have a larger budget for your haircare?  I recently got some samples of the new Shu Uemura hair product line (and advice - we'll call this a flirtation, no adultery here) from Shelby of the Shelby Herrick Salon in Fairway KS.  His is one of only 1% of American salons that carry this line.  He recommended I use the Shusu Sleek (how fun is that to say?!) smoothing shampoo and conditioner.  It's good stuff guys.  So is my new second-day-hair go-to product, which brings my curls back to life: 


If I can leave you with one tip that should apply to everyone, it's this:


Yep, that's a hair turban made of a cotton t-shirt.  T-shirts tend to be soft (don't use a nubby one, that's not good quality cotton and has a similar texture to terry-looped towels.)  Towels can be abrasive (see all those loops and fibers poking out?) 

cut off the sleeve as shown above, then fold the t-shirt in half, cut diagonally!
Tie two ends of the triangle at your forehead.
Tuck the tail under the knot at the forehead.  You're done.
You don't have to "make" a turban, you can simply take a t-shirt (preferably a crew-neck,)stick your head in the hole of the tee and twist the body (do what you will with the arms) around your hair to make the turban. You could also just cut the tee down the middle (or side) and you suddenly have a bath towel sized t-shirt-towel.  I can't guarantee results, but I notice a difference when I use a t-shirt rather than a towel.

What are your hair trade-secrets?

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At October 25, 2012 at 10:23 PM , Anonymous Heather said...

I like your turban idea! I do a similar thing with a long sleeve t-shirt, but I will try this. I'm always looking for something to help my crazy hair.

 
At October 29, 2012 at 5:33 PM , Anonymous Melanie said...

Very nice!
My hair is usually everywhere! I will have to try it!!

 
At December 31, 2012 at 11:00 PM , Anonymous Manohar Singh Rathore said...

Thanks for the good writeup. It actually used to be a enjoyment account it. Look complicated to far delivered agreeable from you! However, how could we keep in touch? Turbans

 
At June 10, 2013 at 12:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

With havin so much content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright violation?
My blog has a lot of exclusive content I've either written myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do you know any techniques to help prevent content from being stolen? I'd truly appreciate it.



Stop by my homepage ... Psn Code Generator

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home