Pretty, Polished, Perfect.: How To: Wear Blazers, Jackets and Tuxedos

Saturday, October 13, 2012

How To: Wear Blazers, Jackets and Tuxedos

 I'm not sure if you've noticed, but I'm attempting to style you from the floor up.  After sleeves comes jackets - but mostly because I want to include a blurb about the sleeve length and styling of jackets.

The Europeans have long thought showing the wrist was sexy.  I agree (and I'm not European.)  In fact, I prefer it - maybe because I believe it makes my wrist and hands appear more feminine and less manly.  What do you think:



I also love the idea of making a tailored jacket look a bit more messy - the contrast adds visual interest!

Let's talk about the length of the jacket.  Jackets come in just about every shape and size.  I would like to say first and foremost that I am strictly against the 80s and even early 90s menswear inspired double-breasted jackets.  They don't look good on anyone.


They might make you appear tiny under that huge jacket, but how many of you simply thought "That jacket is way too big for you, lady?" or "What happened to your boobs??"

Once again putting my own body on the chopping block:



Long jackets that hit your butt (or right below - and worse, pull the jacket tails apart) at the wrong spot can make your butt look large (think Jennifer Lopez.)  Jackets that hit right below the waist and flare out will help your booty look good, rather than larger than life.  Jackets worn too high on the waist when you don't have an hourglass figure can make your midsection appear larger, and wider (scroll down for that lovely photo.)

I normally don't like longer tuxedo jackets, but paired with the right pair of pants:


But whatever you do, do NOT do this:

There are so many things wrong with this.  These jeans, the way I'm standing, that butt, that t-shirt, my love handles, the cropped jacket......
DO!  This is the same jacket, but paired with a waist-cinching dress (and a line that helps make the jacket look longer) this jacket is much more appropriate.  The full skirt of the dress also helps hide those horrid love-handles!
Not sure about your jacket length?  Take pictures, ask friends, ask Your Mr (or significant other.)  And whatever you do, don't forget to look back in the mirror - it might look great from the front......but your backside could be song-inspiring, lol!  



What do you think?  Is there a jacket length you avoid?

p.s. don't forget to enter the fantastic giveaway going on this week!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At October 14, 2012 at 9:55 PM , Anonymous Heather said...

I never had a double-breasted jacket in the 80's, but I am asking, "What happened to my boobs?"

 
At October 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM , Anonymous versatilestylebytracey.com said...

So right on, I just started a blog and realized my mirror had been lying to me. I recently began a quest to find shorter jackets for my petite height and I am happy with my new results. On my blog today is one new jacket and a dress, I love the combo.

 
At October 21, 2012 at 1:16 PM , Anonymous ronald said...

very informative...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home