Pretty, Polished, Perfect.: How To: Wear Sleeves

Friday, October 12, 2012

How To: Wear Sleeves

Sometimes I die laughing at these titles.  But just in case someone googles "How to wear sleeves"........

I saw a bloggy friend the other day and asked her what she thought of my 31 days posts.  She said she was enjoying them, mentioning the posts she enjoyed and the posts she didn't get much out of.

I'm putting my imperfect body on the chopping block and showing you some examples of sleeves - the good, the bad, and the ugly.


I know yesterday's post showed a huge range of different types of sleeves, but since most of us stick to about three, I thought I would start there.

Cap sleeves do's and dont's:



Dress shirt dos and donts:


The shoulder seam on basic shirts is not usually meant to go straight up from the arm pit (petal, bell, and puff sleeves do.)  An inset shoulder seam rounds out the shoulder and can make shoulder appear less broad - the exact opposite of what shoulder pads are supposed to do.

All shoulders are different, which makes it difficult to give a finite answer on where a shoulder seam should hit.  Here is a basic rule:


A good seam fit will enhance your shoulder , and a bad seam fit will either make your shoulder look too round or very narrow - or both.

What do you think?  Do you know where your ideal seam would hit?

 



p.s. don't forget to enter the fantastic giveaway going on this week!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At October 14, 2012 at 7:45 PM , Anonymous Lisa Walter said...

Thank you for that information. I sometimes have trouble determining if a sleeve is just right!

 
At October 14, 2012 at 8:19 PM , Anonymous Kendra said...

Interesting perspective but I completely disagree. What if you naturally have very broad shoulders and you WANT to make them appear less broad?? I think size fit is way more important that the line the shoulder seem makes. too tight, too loose? WRONG, no matter where the seam points.

 
At October 14, 2012 at 9:47 PM , Anonymous Heather said...

I agree. I have tried on shirts that fit otherwise, but with the shoulder seams too far in, it made the whole shirt look off.

 
At October 15, 2012 at 8:52 AM , Anonymous Erin said...

I agree with you about the size. I hadn’t realized that my post had implied that the shoulder seam placement was more important than the overall fit of a shirt. However, the shoulder seam is one of the first signs of whether a shirt fits correctly or not. Rarely will you find a shirt that is too loose or too tight AND the shoulder seam is spot on. I had assumed that fit was implied, as well as the fact that if a good seam produces a look similar to what shoulder pads do, then someone with broad shoulders would NOT want a shirt that does that. That being said, someone with broad shoulders will not necessarily look better with a shoulder seam that is set in or falls off the shoulder. I will try to be more clear in my next posts. Thanks for the feedback!


Erin B.

Blog: prettypolishedperfect.com
Twitter: @_TripleP

Facebook: Pretty, Polished, Perfect.
Pinterest: Erin B. (PrttyPlshdPrfct)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home