Pretty, Polished, Perfect.: Sleeves, The Long and Short of it.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Sleeves, The Long and Short of it.

I'm on a field to The Big Red Barn (I'm sure there was a lot of thought that went into that name......) with one of my sons today.  In the spirit of school and learning, I wanted to share with you some illustrations from my college days (from my big spiral bound sketch-pad of fashion):

 

Wow.  I haven't seen some of these sleeves since I was a little girl (80s, holla! lol!)

Not all sleeves were created equally, that's for sure.  A few tips for sleeves - it takes a certain kind of shoulder (a perfectly proportioned one to be exact) to pull of a good raglan sleeve.  Cap sleeves are great, and depending on where they hit and how tightly the fit, they can make a bicep appear slender.....or fatter than it really is.  The original cap sleeve (no seam) is the most flattering, while the set seam cap is the one to be a bit more wary of.  And yes, that sleeve truly is called the "batwing."  (not to be confused with dolman!)

Is there a type of sleeve you find yourself avoiding?

Don't forget to enter the awesome giveaway going on right now!







Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At October 12, 2012 at 8:37 AM , Anonymous Sharon @ Parents of a Dozen said...

I just found your sight through the nester. I enjoyed this post I look forward to reading more!

 
At October 13, 2012 at 12:23 PM , Anonymous fati said...

-To love beauty is to see light.
http://free-make-up.blogspot.com

 
At October 14, 2012 at 2:10 AM , Anonymous Brandi said...

Its so true. a sleeve can make or break a shirt or your arm size!! lol

run-style-run.blogspot.com

 
At October 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM , Anonymous Polly said...

I tend to avoid leg-o-mutton sleeves and what you called the Juliette sleeve. Also, The Big Red Barn might just be named after the Margaret Wise Brown book of the same name. (She also wrote Good Night Moon and Run Away Bunny.)


Anyway, I've been enjoying your 31 Day series. Thanks so much!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home