Pretty, Polished, Perfect.: Labels, Warnings, Signs.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Labels, Warnings, Signs.

As a someone who writes/blogs about fashion, have you placed yourself into some sort of blogging category?  No.  This blog is so young I'm not sure I would even know what category to put it into!  Is sarcastic a category?  Humor?  Lighthearted? Typos?  Incorrect Usage of Grammar?



What keeps you from or encourages you to label yourself as a certain kind of blogger?  I label myself as a fashion blogger, but it's less a label than an explanation.  If someone asks what I blog about, I'd say "fashion." 



When picking blogs to read and follow are you drawn to ones that indicate a certain group or way of thinking/being?  No.  I'm glad you asked.  I read an article more recently that seemed a bit whiny to me.  The article claimed that the most successful fashion blogs were those whose writers were thin and beautiful.  I obviously disagree.  For me, if I find your blog and I don't relate to your style, I don't get your sense of humor (if there was humor involved,) I don't relate to your stories, etc., I probably won't consistently read your blog.  I read blogs whose writers are extreme feminists (and I don't always agree with what they have to say) and I read blogs who have 25 followers and blogs whose numbers are in triple+ digits.  I follow blogs whose posts have less than two sentences, and blogs whose posts are practically a novel.  I read the blogs that I like, and what makes me like your blog, varies.



Do you think there are benefits in labeling yourself or others?  I do - the same way I benefit from labeling my spice jars. 




Agree or Disagree - We're all just people; we don't need all the labels.  By labels, I assume you are speaking of judging others - like judging a book by its cover?  Again, labels are useful - like labeling a bottle of wine.  There are times when no label is needed; I don't need to label my oven.  If I can't find my oven, I've clearly got bigger problems.


p.s. I found this funny post while googling "funny label pictures."

p.p.s I almost forgot to mention this blog post was brought to you by FBFF.

p.p.p.s. (if there even is such a thing) That's why I always forget to label my posts.  Or why they have an 8 tag limit on Pinterest.

10 Comments:

At July 16, 2011 at 2:24 PM , Anonymous Terri said...

I don't have a label for you, but i found you because you're from my area. I like your style AND your sense of humor.

 
At July 16, 2011 at 9:21 PM , Anonymous joanie coyote said...

Haaa! I love your response to this and the pictures are hysterical. I am now following you. Be fore and post-warned.

http://making50fabulous.blogspot.com/

 
At July 17, 2011 at 9:41 AM , Anonymous Erin said...

Thanks Terri! It's an age-old conondrum: Will strangers be able to find the humor in my written word? I deal with serious stuff every day, all day. I don't really want to deal with it on my fashion blog - and it's the only thing I really have any control over, lol!

 
At July 17, 2011 at 9:43 AM , Anonymous Erin said...

This comment made me laugh....out loud. Really. Thanks for the follow, and the warnings ;)

 
At July 17, 2011 at 6:24 PM , Anonymous Kimberlee VDW said...

haha sarcastic is definitely a category :p Great pics to go with the post :)

 
At July 17, 2011 at 9:53 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

I had fun searching for those pictures!

 
At July 22, 2011 at 7:36 AM , Anonymous Maren Hufford said...

I like your blog. Mind if I add it to my blogroll? I appreciate a good sense of humor and I love fashion, even I hide it like a pro by wearing the EXACT same skirt to church every week. It's all part of my master plan...

 
At July 22, 2011 at 10:45 AM , Anonymous Erin said...

Hi! I'm glad you like the blog, and of course you may add it to your blogroll! I haven't noticed the same skirt, but now I'm going to start paying attention, lol! If you have a blog, I'd love to see it ;)

 
At July 23, 2011 at 12:19 AM , Anonymous MissRockwell said...

Wow!!! So if you're a new blogger with less than 25 followers and only double digits you won't even give them a chance? That's kinda mean! Or wait, was that sarcasm?

 
At July 25, 2011 at 11:25 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

Wait, are you using sarcasm? I can't tell anymore. If you weren't using sarcasm, I would like to clarify that I do follow bloggers than have seemingly few followers, and I also follower bloggers that seemingly have many. My point was that I don't follow blogs based on who is more beautiful, more successful or who is most thin. I follow the people whose style I like (and that doesn't necessarily mean I would wear it myself) and I follow some people's blogs because I like what they have to say. Hope this clears it up! (Besides the fact that I barely have over 25 followers myself!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home