Pretty, Polished, Perfect.: Come As You Are

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Come As You Are

After watching Project Runway's first episode, Come As You Are, I decided I had to do a post about pj's.  Why?  For starters, I gawked with incredulity when I saw what some of those designers were wearing to bed.  Tacky pajama pants?  Sweats?  Clowns puking rainbows??  Not only have they chosen the worst pajamas ever, it seems that these people who are so particular about their personal style chose to forego any style when it came to their boudoir!  Why would you dress like a 50s pinup during the day and then wear flannel pajama pants and an old t-shirt to bed?  Where's that 50s pinup lingerie??

I learned two important life lessons from that episode (insert eye roll here please.)  First, you should always have tasteful pajamas; who knows when you might be asked to roll out of bed and walk through Times Square?  Second, always have a two minute back-up plan for makeup and hair (it took me 103 seconds to put my hair up, I timed it and I wasn't wearing any makeup - which I'm sure you could tell!)  Seriously.  The girl frantically putting her makeup on while staring at the camera instead of the mirror?  Not a good moment for her.  Or women anywhere.  (This is why we can't get rid of those darned cliches, thank you very much.)  Now that I've learned these important life lessons, I give you these:


That's right.  Satin.  Tacky, I know.  I made this mistake before I was considered legal.  Let's chalk it up to being young and stupid.  Regardless, these are my pajamas.  If I was on a reality tv show and had to pack up the next twelve weeks of my life into two suitcases, I would bring these nude heels.  They would get the most mileage (and sorta match my pjs, just in case.)  If I had to wear my pjs through Times Square, I'd roll up my hems and tie the front of my shirt.  It's the least I could do.  At least I'm not walking around in my underwear (what a spectacle that would be!)

 

That's right.  Plaid.  I bought these when I was pregnant, because Darnit!  I was going to feel like crap after I had my baby so I might as well be dressed in bright plaids!!  As Bert, the older dude who is a recovering alcoholic (is anyone else afraid that he might fall off the wagon if he loses??) shows us, if you have to incorporate what you are wearing into your design, it had better not be flannel bows or clowns puking rainbows into a toilet!!  Of course, that model was wearing his nasty underwear across her chest.  And then the judges were ooh-ing and ahh-ing over his dirty underwear strewn across her shoulder, blech!  But hey!  He won the challenge! 

I know, I keep writing and I'm almost done, but I just have to point out one other small problem.  Back to the girl frantically putting on her makeup - all I know is this: the only think I kept thinking throughout the entire episode was please, please tell me they were allowed to brush their teeth!  I can go without makeup, my hair can look like crap, I could be wearing The Mr's old sweats but please let me brush my dang teeth!!

PJ's: Victoria Secret 
Shoes: Elle (via Kohls)

Would you wear your pj's on the street??




6 Comments:

At August 18, 2011 at 2:39 PM , Anonymous fashionbyalicia said...

I just want to say that I love that you did a post about PJs. I wear the worst things to sleep in sooo tacky! But they are so comfy.

 
At August 18, 2011 at 3:38 PM , Anonymous Terri said...

Ha, I had a pair of Victoria Secret jammies I was going to style up for my "green" month in October. I love how you you've dressed them up with the knot in front and the nude heels. Myself, I'm partial to high quality white cotton gowns for sleepwear.

 
At August 18, 2011 at 4:02 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

I'm glad to hear it! There was that large part of me that almost didn't hit publish!

 
At August 18, 2011 at 4:03 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

I'm partial to high quality cotton as well.....I refuse to let the thread count of my sheets fall below 600, lol! I can't wait to see your jammies styled!

 
At August 18, 2011 at 5:30 PM , Anonymous BiblioMOMia said...

Everything about this post makes me happy happy happy. Mostly you in heels in your pjs.

 
At August 18, 2011 at 7:12 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

Thanks. Your comment made me laugh! Happy is good. Happy is always good!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home