Pretty, Polished, Perfect.: Day Dreamers

Friday, August 19, 2011

Day Dreamers

This week's FBFF questions ask:

Q: If you could do anything professionally, what would it be?
A: How do I narrow it down?  College was a bit of a disaster - I couldn't make up my mind which major to choose!  I started with Fashion Design, but thought that wasn't going to be a broad enough degree, so I switched to Boring Business.  I can't remember why, but I took an Art History class and fell. in. love.  I started that track but fell to pieces over the four years (!) of Latin.  I always thought if I was going to learn a second (or third, or fourth) language, it would be a language I could use more often, like Spanish, or German.  Back to the Business track, I took Economics and couldn't wait to take Economics II; I had dreams of politics and economics swirling in my head.  Surprised I haven't mentioned math yet?  After my first Calculus class, I was convinced I wanted to be a math teacher; it didn't take very long before I realized I only wanted to teach students who loved math, not the students who were just there to fulfill requirements.  Then there was the bout with photography, visual merchandising (I even did an internship for this one, that I loved,) nursing, dental hygiene, turf management (yep, you read that right,) physical fitness..........anyway, I ended up with Business Administration.  Practical and terribly boring (in my mind, anyway.)  Now that I've had time to regret my final decision, guess what I would love to go back to school for?  That's right.  Fashion Design. 

Q: What draws you to this?
A: My love for fashion, art, photography, creativity......the list goes on.

Q: When did you first start dreaming about this ideal?
A: I suspect this dream began before I was even born.  I can't remember a time when this wasn't what I wanted!

Q: What's holding you back from going all in?
A: I need to get back to school.  Anyone want to babysit?  Haha!

Q: What's one step you can take now on the way to realizing your dream?
A: This blog is it.  This is my first step.  Let's see where it takes me!
*fingers crossed*

13 Comments:

At August 19, 2011 at 9:45 AM , Anonymous No Guilt Fashion said...

I know many graduates that changed majors so many times, and ended up regretting that they didn't stick with the first choice. Your blog is a great starting place, especially, since your hands are kind of full.

 
At August 19, 2011 at 10:50 AM , Anonymous Candy said...

I started as a Fashion Design major too and switched to Business!

 
At August 19, 2011 at 10:52 AM , Anonymous Katy Rose said...

I seriously think this is a dilemma of the millennial generation. We love too many things and see so many doors and avenues as wide open to us that pairing down the options and just picking one is nearly impossible. We want too many things and picking one is eliminating all the others. I suffer from that constantly. - Katy

 
At August 19, 2011 at 11:04 AM , Anonymous Kimberlee VDW said...

Oh you went on quite the trail from fashion design! hehe We are humans, we change our minds :)

 
At August 19, 2011 at 1:14 PM , Anonymous dressmepolly said...

Wow! What a journey. You don't regret it though, right, you loved sucking up all that knowledge? Good luck with the next steps!

 
At August 19, 2011 at 4:16 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I wonder if I was too immature to make such important decisions, lol!

 
At August 19, 2011 at 4:17 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

Business majors unite! Have you wished you hadn't switched?

 
At August 19, 2011 at 4:17 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

Thank you for that Katy! It does feel like by choosing one we ARE eliminating others.

 
At August 19, 2011 at 4:18 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

Or, I am a woman, I change my mind, lol!

 
At August 19, 2011 at 4:19 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

Regret is probably the wrong word. I certainly learned a lot of great things that will help me in all of my future endeavors, but you can practically take every business course online now. Fashion Design? It seems to require 25 hours a day in lab ;)

 
At August 21, 2011 at 7:11 PM , Anonymous Terri said...

Perhaps a two year certificate in fashion design would work. I know that MCC offers that degree. I teach there, but have considered starting those courses. Perhaps JCCC has something similar. Have been encouraging an art history colleague to begin developing a course on the history of clothing...

Go for it. I'll watch the kids.

 
At August 21, 2011 at 8:22 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

That's the best news! A few years ago, JCCC starting offering an Associates degree in Fashion Design! That's what I'd like to start doing. Back in the good old days (read: single and no kids) they only offered Fashion Merchandising, which wasn't quite what I was looking for!

 
At August 21, 2011 at 8:22 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

And thanks for watching the kids ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home