Pretty, Polished, Perfect.: Day 21: Manicures Aren't Just For Men

Friday, October 21, 2011

Day 21: Manicures Aren't Just For Men

It's fall and the humidity is finally dying down (my afro is grateful for this.)  This also means dry skin (and dry cuticles.)  I don't have the time (and sometimes I would rather spend the money on something -anything - else.)  My manicures aren't perfect.  On a good day, they might even pass an inspection. 

Here's how I do what I do (and I'm not a professional):

First, I remove all polish, oils, dirt, etc., with nail polish remover:

I know absolutely nothing about polish removers.  I do know that my dad has some paint thinner/stripper and it's pure acetone.  I also know that it works really well in removing polish (I was desperate!!  I also know that acetone evaporates rapidly.  I'm pretty sure it's not the best thing for the health of your nails either.)


I don't know what will happen if you leave it on for longer than 15 seconds,
but I'm too afraid to find out. 
Sorry.

After 15 seconds, I push the cuticles down with one of the bad boys:
I do know that you want your cuticles.  They help protect the nailbed and the skin around it.
I rinse the excess gunk off. 
I still haven't found the perfect base or top coat (and if you have, please please share it with me!) but this brand has done well enough:
If you ever thought you didn't need these, you would be wrong.  They help keep the polish from chipping (unless you like re-polishing your nails daily - and you have the time.)

I'm completely ignorant when it comes to the actual nail polish.  For my pedicures, I primarily use:


Diamond Strength No Chip Nail Color, Honeymoon Red

(that's Sunrise, Sunset)
I picked this polish out solely based on color.  I didn't even read the label - I just liked the color.  That is how all my polishes are selected.  I do know there are brands that are more like organic produce - they are supposed to be environmentally friendly and better for your nails (like butter.) 

I allow myself a lot of time to let my nails dry (basically during nap time - it's amazing how my children always manage to step on my feet only when I have slightly wet polish on my toes!)

I like to touch up my cuticles with:
I love the smell.  It's also great for faking a manicure in 30 seconds or less!

Want your nails to shine without the nail polish?  I use this fun thingy:

Side 1: Even Out
Side 2: Smooth Nail
Side 3: Buff Nail
Side 4: Shine Nail

p.s. I beg The Mr to use this for his "man"-icure.  Sometimes begging works.

And sometimes it's just nice to go to a salon and have someone do it for you :)

What do you do?  Do you have secrets you are willing to share with me?

6 Comments:

At October 22, 2011 at 7:26 PM , Anonymous Laura Hojnacke said...

I use Out The Door as a top coat. It dries super fast! For the base coat I use a bottle of green stuff by Creative (or CND) called Stickey. It dries (not really dry though) sticky. I don't know if you can buy it at regular stores or not- I get mine from the beauty supply store. We have quite a few different colors. The kids always pick out a couple of colors every time I stop at a beauty supply store. We use OPI.
P.S. Erin, I can get OPI for about half the price it sells in regular stores and ship it to you if you ever need it.

 
At October 24, 2011 at 12:31 PM , Anonymous ClosetConfections said...

These are great tips. I slacked off my manicures majorly for a couple of months, and my cuticles became a wreck! Thankfully, they're back in shape now. Thanks for the product recommendations!

Closet Confections - A Sweet Little Personal Style Blog

P.S.
I found your blog via FBFF!

 
At October 24, 2011 at 6:13 PM , Anonymous Fashion_Girl_1987 said...

I can't beleive.....My neighbor makes $96/hr on the internet. She has been unemployed for 10 months but last month her income was $7253 just working on the PC for a few hours. Go to this web site ....

 
At October 24, 2011 at 6:13 PM , Anonymous Fashion_Girl_1987 said...

.....

 
At October 25, 2011 at 4:05 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

Duly noted. Does this mean I officially have "connections?" haha!

 
At October 25, 2011 at 4:05 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

Hi! It's nice to meet you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home