Pretty, Polished, Perfect.: Fall Colors

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Fall Colors

I know this is in direct opposition to Monday's post, but it's that time of year when fall settles into the cobwebs of my subconscience.  I start dreaming of cool fall nights, bundled up in my favorite jacket or sweater, huddled around campfires.  I start wishing I had a pair of boots to go with this outfit instead of sandals.  I start remembering those favorite jeans I have stashed at the back of my closet; will they fit? will I still love them?

Then I step outside to check the mail and feel the oppressive humidity seemingly stealing the breath right out of my lungs.  The cobwebs have cleared and I'm back in summer (with only a few short weeks left to go!)

So I go through my closet and pull out clothes that are not summer colors, pairing them with textiles that are rarely worn in heat and humidity.  I call it rebellion.  You can call it whatever you want.



To dress it up a little bit, I change the shoes (and location, haha.)



Shirt: F21
Necklace: Banana Republic
Belt: Target (seen here)
Skirt: F21 (see the original, in black here)
Shoes 1: H&M
Shoes 2: Elle (via Kohls, seen here, here, and here)
Umbrella: Totes (via Target)

I bought this skirt on clearance for $3.99.  It was originally a maxi skirt.  The Mr was out of town so I was watching an old movie on the tellie, In Her Shoes.  At one point, Cameran Diaz is wearing this asymmetrical knit skirt that I instantly fell in love with.  Unable (this is years after the movie was even released) to find one like it online, I took this cheap skirt and cut it up, hoping it would be cute.  It wasn't quite the same, but hey, it was only $3.99!


7 Comments:

At August 25, 2011 at 5:11 PM , Anonymous Jenn said...

I really like your skirt - yay DIY!! Haha, love your location change. Both pairs of shoes look great with this outfit :)

 
At August 25, 2011 at 8:17 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

Thanks! I got a couple of fun stares from the people at the lake that day, but I think the photos were worth it ;)

 
At August 29, 2011 at 12:22 AM , Anonymous Paula Robinson said...

new follower. Love this blog! You are such a cutie! And in her shoes was a great film. Have you seen Jesus Henry Christ yet? Love it.. love Toni Collette

 
At August 29, 2011 at 9:20 AM , Anonymous Erin said...

Welcome! Thanks for the compliments. I haven't seen the movie yet, but now you have piqued my curiosity!

 
At August 29, 2011 at 8:34 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

If you liked this skirt, Forever21 is selling a similar one (the one I REALLY wanted) in red - http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog_name=FOREVER21&category_name=BTMs_Skirts&Page=1&product_id=2078968489

 
At August 30, 2011 at 3:42 PM , Anonymous VanC said...

Love how with a couple accessory changes the outfit goes from casual to dressy! And I must find a clear umbrella--it's so cute. The Hubs and I took our two-year old to the Coast for the first time recently (here) and I brought the tripod to get in family and outfit photos. (As the unofficial official photographer in this household, I'm almost never in photos). Got a couple stares from folks, but I'm really happy that I took the time to setup the tripod because some great shots came out of it. Sometimes just a little effort makes a huge difference! :)

Van // The Clothes We Wear // Wearing motherhood with style.

 
At September 1, 2011 at 7:38 PM , Anonymous Erin said...

Thanks! I'm really contemplating painting some stripes or something else really fantastic (like WhatIWore did with hers, only mine's clear.) If only I could make up mind, lol! I also think that great photographs are priceless. I would take a million weird looks just for that one perfect photograph (especially of my sons!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home